New Jersey truck accident lawyers: truck accident causes and investigations
Trucking is big business in New Jersey. Trucks carry 75% of the freight traveling through the state and are a frequent sight on New Jersey roads and highways. With heavy truck traffic, New Jersey experiences thousands of truck crashes annually. If you or a loved one has been injured in a collision with a truck, speak with a New Jersey truck accident attorney as soon as possible.
Immediately after the accident, the trucking company’s insurer will have its investigators and attorneys working to prevent or minimize your recovery. For the best chance of obtaining a fair settlement or verdict against the trucking company or other responsible party, you need a New Jersey truck accident attorney on your side. An experienced truck crash lawyer will gather the evidence before it disappears and get to the bottom of the cause of your accident. A prompt investigation is essential so that vital evidence can be preserved and the responsible parties identified.
Causes of New Jersey truck accidents
A traffic accident involving a commercial truck is more likely to have catastrophic consequences than an ordinary car accident. A fully loaded commercial truck can weigh 80,000 pounds or more, while an average passenger automobile weighs around 3,000 pounds.
Many truck accidents are the fault of the driver or trucking company. Some examples include:
- Speeding to deliver freight on tight and sometimes unrealistic schedules.
- Dozing off behind the wheel or making fatigue induced errors because of driving for too long without a break.
- Cell phone use.
- Alcohol and drug use, including prescription drugs and over the counter medications.
- Judgment errors due to inexperience and inadequate training.
- Improper loading or securing of cargo which can make the truck unstable or can result in cargo spills. If hazardous or flammable materials are on board, secondary injuries can result, including burns and respiratory injuries.
- Inadequate inspection and maintenance of the truck leading to brake and other equipment failures.
Other causes of truck accidents include design and manufacturing defects in the truck, for which the truck manufacture would be liable, and defects in the design or maintenance of the road for which a governmental entity would be liable.
Investigating a New Jersey truck accident
As your New Jersey truck accident lawyers, we will begin investigating the cause of your accident immediately with the assistance of the appropriate experts in truck accident reconstruction if necessary.
We will examine and document the following matters:
- The accident scene—
- Road conditions, debris, skid marks.
- Weather and driving conditions.
- Damage to the vehicles.
- The witnesses—
- Police report and investigating officers’ statements.
- Witnesses’ statements.
- The driver–
- Driving history.
- Training and license.
- Log books.
- The truck–
- Maintenance records.
- Size, load requirements, and route.
- Load’s security and weight.
- Insurance and other sources of recovery.
Contact a New Jersey truck accident attorney
If you or a loved one has been injured in a truck accident and would like to consult with a seasoned New Jersey truck accident lawyer, please fill out the form on this page. Or contact us at:
Zager Fuchs, P.C.
New Jersey personal injury attorneys
P.O. Box 489
268 Broad Street
Red Bank, New Jersey 07701